Re: Re: [OM] OM2S only does 1/60th, sort of?

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] OM2S only does 1/60th, sort of?
From: astaire@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:08:37 -0500

> << If I have the speed set to 1/1000th, say, then the size of the slit
> that moves across will be 60f the width of the frame -- but the
> left-hand side
> of the film will "see" the image 1/60th of a second before the
> right-hand side of the film; doesn't this mean that I'll get 1/60th of a
> second of whatever motion there is "animated" across the frame?  (so if
> I photograph a brick dropping fast enough, instead of getting it frozen
> in the air, it'll
> wind up slightly diagonal in the final image, say)  >>
>
> Good visualization of the effect.  It is exactly what happens, except
> instead of saying "diagonal" it would more correctly be "more elongated"
> (in the plane the curtain is traveling) than in real life.
>
> Gary Reese
> Las Vegas, NV

Seems like the movement distortion effect (MDE?) would depend on the direction
of motion.

Fast movers in the horizontal direction would indeed appear elongated or
shortened depending on direction of motion.

Fast movers in the vertical direction would have their horizontal dimensions
not strictly horizontal anymore but have a vertical component to it.