RE: [OM] New book barely mentions OM

Subject: RE: [OM] New book barely mentions OM
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:22:57 -0400
OK, I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet that much of Ivor's OM experience probably relates to the much larger body of knowledge and experience with Nikon and Canon long, ED lenses vs. the rather rare, white Zuikos. I think that it's been documented by objective sources that the white Zuikos are the equal of the comperable glass from others.

I like Ivor's books a lot, but he obviously had some sort of bad experience or bad press on the OM System to write as he did. Maybe it was in part the press in the 80's where many big news houses abandoned Olympus for Nikon or Canon and had to justify it? Does somone else remember history better than me there? (I thought I remembered that Olympus simply wasn't rich enough to out-spend Nikon or Canon for sponsorships and pro-related support.)

In my own experience, I've had two bodies self destruct when dropped. Both from about 4-5 feet onto a hard, immovable surface (concrete). I'd bet that a Nikon F/F2, Canon F1, or a LeicaFlex SL2 would survive such a fall in much better shape than my OM-1's. As for the more modern and comperable Nikon FM/FM2/FM3a, Leica R3/4/5/6/7, or Canon ??, I'd bet the're about equal to the OM's in durability.

Many people are not comfortable with smaller cameras. I for one, with large, thin hands like the OM's. But during their heyday in the 80's, I had many friends who couldn't leave their Nikons or canons for a smaller OM body. It didn't feel right for size or weight was the answer I often got. Especially the lenses. The expectation of the day was that weight was good, and that less weight couldn't mean equality.

Skip

****** I M P O R T A N T   R E P L Y   I N F O ************
Please adddress ALL offlist messages to skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx
This hotmail.com email address is ONLY used for this mailing list subscription and I will probably not notice any private messages addressed here.