Re: [OM] Niagra Falls kit?

Subject: Re: [OM] Niagra Falls kit?
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:06:54 EDT
Dear

<< I will be visiting Niagra Falls this Saturday and have
 > no earthly idea what the vantage point will be from both the Canadian and
US
 > sides. Anyone know what wide angle lense will cover from each side? >>

I was there on holiday in 1983, when I was 17.

I remember that there was a vantage point on the American side right by where
the falls went over - I dont know if it is still there, because it seemed to
overhang a bit! You might get some water spray rainbows there.

On the Canadian side, I went up the Skylon Tower and got a good view of the
whole lot from there. But for photos, I think you have to take them through
the windows there; I'm not sure.

One of the streets on the Canadian side seemed to run almost alongside the
Canadian Horseshoe falls - I saw some very rapidly rushing water going over
the edge just the other side of a fence with some rocks inbetween. You can
also see the ill-fated boat which got stuck about 100(?) years ago on its way
towards the falls - again, if it's still there!

>From the Canadian side, you can see right across to the American falls
'opposite'. The 'Maid of the Mist' boat trip went from the Canadian side of
the gorge, along past the American falls which are kind of on the other side
of the gorge and down to the 'end' where the huge Canadian horseshoe falls
are situated. Then we all got very wet, but luckily we did come back
afterwards, and they did lend us waterproofs! We also saw a load of people
walking down on a pedestrian trip 'behind' the American falls, if I remember
correctly - I think I have a photo of them somewhere.

I had a C*non A-1 with me which got quite splashed with fine spray. And you
know what, afterwards it didn't work. I went quiet - very quiet in the back
of the car (much of my savings had gone on this lovely camera (sorry!)).
After about half an hour, after trying 'everything' at least twice, I finally
realised that it was swiched off! It still works, thought he shutter/mirror
is squeaking. Probably needs a CLA. I don't think that I would ever sell it;
it reminds me of great times.

But I STILL think they should have put an off switch on the OM-2SP / OM-4Ti
etc., so there!

I had the A-1, 50/1.8 and that's it, I think. I probably left my Tamron
80-210 in the hotel room; I can't remember - it's too long ago.

Have fun there!

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/