Re: [OM] Ocer/underexposure with flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Ocer/underexposure with flash
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:56:40 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Marcin Kost wrote:

> Hi !
>      Oh my not very best english!!!!
>     I want to use flash in TTL mode. And the question is how force the
> flash to underexposure. Normally i did it by increasing the film speed
> value on the ASA dial ring. Is there any other method? (Camera in
> manual mode)  Regards and sorry for my english I am not using english
> language to much

You can't actually use manual flash in TTL mode - it doesn't make any
sense.  With manual flash there is no metering at exposure time at all.
The only thing you can do is set a smaller aperture than indicated by
the guide number and distance (or measured by flash meter). I think
that's what O.C. said.

However, you can use the flashgun's built-in metering system (if it has
one - most do these days).  You will need to leave the camera in manual
mode, set the shutter speed to 1/60 s or slower and either:

        set a smaller aperture than your flashgun's automatic exposure system
        tells you to (usually indicated on the back of the flashgun).
or
        set the aperture your flashgun tells you to use for faster film
        than you are actually using. There's usually a way to set the
        film speed on the back of a flashgun with this kind of exposure
        control.

HTH

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |