Re: [OM] Niagra Falls kit?

Subject: Re: [OM] Niagra Falls kit?
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:32:39 +1000
I can answer this. I been there twice, both times with an iS-3000 and OM-1n
and 28 and 90 mm lenses. At times I wish I had a 24 (particularly to get all
the Horseshoe falls in one shot), but I was happy with the  28 and 90. I
didn't use the 3000.

Vantage points? Table rock on the Canadian side, and walk down towards
Rainbow bridge. Don't just look at the falls. Go down to the Whirlpool and
the Buttery Conservatory as well. I've always been there in off season and
parked at the old Toronto Power Station to avoid parking fees. The elevator
to the bottom of the falls is OK too.

Try some of the restaurants. We went to a little place near the Skylon,
about 12 stories, and the view from there was better than Skylon in my
opinion. Looked at the falls instead of on top of the falls. Skylon at night
is good to get photos of the falls under lights.

US side? Goat island is good - get a photo of the Telsa memorial (I work in
the power industry). It gets you looking along the falls. The Canadian side
gets you looking at the face. Go for a walk on the foot bridge (most
downstream) to Goat Island at night. The lights on the water upstrean of the
American Falls are great to photograph.

What lenses would I take? 28, 90 definitely (mines a Tamron 2.5 49mm
filter). T28 flash for Butterfly Conservatory. Extras would be 35 and 135. I
hate zooms even though I've got the 65-200 and 35-105. And always a tripod.
Manfrotto 190 with 141RC head.

Be prepared to change exposure from measured due to the white of the falls,
or else they come out grey/blue.

Tracey said to say she liked using the iS3000 and ran off some great shots.

Of course you must provide a feedback email to the list.

Foxy
Khancoban
Australia