Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"

Subject: Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:31:02 -0400
Ian, also good choices. My choice of the 50/2 would be in the case I was
carrying only one camera and lens around most of the time while doing
other activities. I have had the 50/1.4 aperture fail on me in St John
(sticking), while the 50/2 mechanics seem more reliable. I also prefer
the stiff rubber lens hoods as they offer better protection when I am
clamoring around on rocks with camera. I have a Vivatar 2x macro
teleconverter, but have not used enough to know how well I like it.

Plastic bags and silica gel for film and gear, not underwater. I used a
C*n*n Sure Shot A1 underwater (which I was reluctant to mention on the
list :-). Out of 2 rolls of film, maybe only one reasonable shot. The
fact that I had to struggle to stay underwater to make a shot ruined
most of them. The experience was enough to convince me that I would
need a lot more experience before I would 1) purchase a good underwater
camera or 2) risk my OM in that situation. You would probably need a
winder (more travel weight) to use an OM underwater, and lots of towels
before changing film.

That said, if p.j. feels the desire to do some underwater shooting, he
is welcome to take my C*n*n. Weight spec is 10.6 oz. If so, get some
good 400 and 800 speed film. Auto-focus does not work underwater.