Re: [OM] Oben (OT / Flame/obscenity ridden!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Oben (OT / Flame/obscenity ridden!)
From: "Chris O'Neill" <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:28:47 -0600
On 15 Aug 2001, at 22:48, Clemente Colayco wrote:

> I put in my vote hoping that at this late hour we will see some note of
> regret from Oben.

Don't count on it.  Oben sent me an off-list message accepting my
recent apology for apparently insulting him by asking him to stop
posting messages about how much fun it would be to take photographs
of naked children.  In that message, he didn't take the opportunity to
reciprocate by expressing any regret for having attacked me in the list.
Obviously, Oben feels he's right and, more importantly, he obviously
feels he has the right to say what he wants, when he wants, and if that
offends someone that's *their* problem, not his!

Someone said they might complain to the moderator.  To me, this begs
the question, "Where the hell IS the moderator?!?!?"  As someone
who's moderated several mailing lists,  I applaud Giles for the work he's
done in making the OM list available to myself and others.  But, as
much as it pains me to say it, I sure wish he'd do a better job of
moderating by stepping in when someone gets completely out of line,
as Oben has.

Awhile back, I had a forced break of about one month from the mailing
list, due to workload requirements at my job.  During that time, I truly
missed the comaradarie.  (Yes, Oben, I know I spelled it wrong!  That
doesn't make me any less intelligent...  just a crappy speller!)  As soon
as I could, I came back and joined in the fun.

Well, folks, this list is no longer any fun for me.  No, I'm not terribly
busy at work so, yes, I do have time to keep up with the list messages.
But, it has come to the point where, apparently, one person is allowed
to insult anyone he wishes, whenever he wishes, and to hell with
whether or not someone is deeply heart by those insults.  Apparently,
the moderator doesn't seem to care, or at least that's how *I* interpret
Giles' lack of action through repeated flamings by the same individual
without any apparent action on his part as moderator to actually
moderate!

So, when it gets to that point, that's when I figure it's time to find
something else to do with my free time.  As promised earlier, I'll post a
couple of Cori's astrophotos (taken with Pentax gear, but what the
heck!).  However, I am unsubscribing from the list and I'm going to find
better ways to spend my leisure time.  Hell, maybe I'll even go shoot
some pictures!

Anyone who wants to assume list responsibility for being the defacto
president of Zuikoholics Anonymous is welcome to that title.

Regards,

Chris

---
Okay, I *AM* a Zuikohobbyist!  And I've got BETTER things to do!
Chris O'Neill (chris@xxxxxxxxx)
http://www.joinco.ca