[OM] [OT] Oben, junk mail to the list

Subject: [OM] [OT] Oben, junk mail to the list
From: "Parzival Herzog" <parz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:26:30 -0500
Hello Listees,

Well, I tried to filter Oben from my email after he started with off-colour
jokes. Now he re-appears with another email address. I
could filter that too, but I see that members are getting quite upset with Oben
again, and I would like to weigh in with my 1.52
cents ($CDN 0.02).

Oben began his latest round with an off-colour joke right after his comments
regarding off-topic posts were rejected by some
members, and he founded his alternative list. That's when I suspected that he
was posting off-topic messages out of spite; i.e, "you
want off-topic, I'll give you off-topic." IMHO, his subsequent postings confirm
that suspicion.

I would suggest that doing nothing else but for ALL list members to filter
Oben's postings, or to treat them as spam (the
"delete-key" method often espoused by senior list members) will effectively
discourage Oben given a little time. Response only
inflames and encourages.

If Oben is removed from the subscribers list, he will still be able to post,
and his messages will still appear on the list, just
like other spam (or am I wrong, are Olympus list spammers also list members?).
If Oben begins to disguise his email address, as he
is starting to do, he will truly be joining the email spammers club.

I would prefer that the list reject messages from non-subscribers, and that
when grave offence occurs, (i.e. personal insult,
offensive content as measured by member reaction,) that someone be given the
authority to delete the offender from the subscribers
list. This would help with spam, and with offensive posters, and possibly save
some members stomach linings, and others the pleasure
of observing their discomfort.

So, that's my one-and-half cents worth. What do ya'll say?

- Parzival