Re: [OM] Request for Flash suggestion/education

Subject: Re: [OM] Request for Flash suggestion/education
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:41:41 EDT
Dear Alan,

<< I've decided it is time to get a flash for my om-2sp and non-om cameras.
 I'm reluctant to get an olympus flash because of the multi-camera usage -
 however I'm unsure of the benefits/drawbacks of different flashes. >>

The T-32 Olympus flash (and the T-20) will operate in TTL Auto, "Normal Auto"
and "Manual" with your OM-2SP (and any furure OM-2s. OM-2Ns, OM-3TIs and
OM_4TIs you _might_ get in the future! ;-))

Actually we had a similarish question about this in the last week, try the
archives search for "OM2S with T32 Flash". I replied to that on 13 August
2001, 3 times!

TTL Auto is basically separate from Normal Auto or Manual settings, and gives
you the advantage of free choice of aperture with the camera itself in AUTO
mode, or of completely TTL Programmed flash, where the camera will choose the
aperture for you in PROGRAM mode.

I do not know if any other maufacturers' flashes will give you TTL Auto on
the OM-2SP etc., but I am sure someone here will tell you!

With the T32, and T-20, I would think that you will be able to use 'Normal
Auto' and 'Manual' flash modes with your other cameras.

[The 'Normal Auto' mode uses the flash's own built-in sensor to determine the
illumination, rather than TTL Auto which uses the light reflected from the
film plane of the OM-2S into the camera's silicon metering cell in the mirror
box.]

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dave Bellamy.