[OM] quick: B&W film recs

Subject: [OM] quick: B&W film recs
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:52:37 -0700 (PDT)
Given the subjects you mention and assuming a tripod is used, you probably
want 100 ASA or slower. Presumably every type of film
sold will have its adherents (usually based on inadequate testing and
comparison). So perhaps a flow chart is in order:

Own developing?
No > Talk to your lab. What will they best develop for your needs?

Yes > Are you a careful worker interested in making your own tests?
        Yes > Consider a modern T-grain film (Ilford Delta or Kodak TMX).
These have the *potential* for highest control, tone range, etc.
        No > Consider a "conventional" emulsion, as these typically
tolerate greater slop in the darkroom. (Ilford FP4+ is perhaps most widely
loved, but every company makes something)

There are plenty of more unusual films, but if you are just starting
out...

Personally, I think film doesn't matter much. Technique matters the most.
Followed by filters (Orange vs. Pol, etc.).
Followed by development/contrast/exposure control.
Followed by paper choice.
Followed by film.

> From: "johnsonpa" <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I need some advice on what B&W film I need to take to Palmyra.
> I want to take a few rolls b/c I thought it might be the best way to capture
> all the rusted WWII stuff the navy left behind.

=====
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page: