Re: [OM] quick: B&W film recs.

Subject: Re: [OM] quick: B&W film recs.
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:29:20 +0000
At 19:24 8/15/01, you wrote:
I need some advice on what B&W film I need to take to Palmyra.
I want to take a few rolls b/c I thought it might be the best way to capture
all the rusted WWII stuff the navy left behind.
I rarely shoot B&W, so I have no idea what would be good.
Any thoughts from the list on a good all-around film?

TIA,
--p.j.

Plus-X Pan
Tri-X Pan

Both classics in their own right. I've used the C-41 chromogenic, both Ilford XP-2 Super and Kodak's T400CN, and they're OK, but IMO they're too general purpose and have no "character" to them. If you're serious about B/W, then take Yellow (K2), Green and Red filters. The yellow is a general purpose contrast increasing and UV reduction filter. Some leave it on the lens as long as there's B/W in the camera. You may also want an orange. It has more effect than yellow for scenics and cloud/sky separation, but I don't recommend it with people. Red is pretty dramatic with high contrast cloud/sky separation, and definitely not recommended for skin tone if you want to maintain normal tonality to it. Green can be used for some color separation of foliage, renders skin tones fairly well, and provides some contrast of skin tone against against sky. Also, you might want a Blue filter, but IMO it's not as important as the yellow, green and red, or the orange. It generally reduces contrast and can give panchromatic B/W a very old orthochromatic look, especially with blue sky (washes it out to very pale).

-- John