[OM] Request for Flash suggestion/education

Subject: [OM] Request for Flash suggestion/education
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:51:31 -0400
Hi Alan,
re: flash education - in TTL flash it's not the flash that does
everything, it's the camera.  The camera sets the shutter speed to flash
sync. speed, measures the light through the lens and then sends a signal
back to the flash telling it to shut itself off after correct exposure
is reached.
Because of this, TTL flash is dedicated to a particular type of camera.
The flash and the camera have to be "integrated".

In auto flash there is no need for the integration and no need for the
camera and flash to share info since, apart from the firing signal from
the camera, the flash is in complete control.  The exposure sensor in
this case is in the flash and not the camera.  This allows an auto flash
to be used on most any camera.  So, even though some flashes may be
dedicated to OM for TTL mode, they should work with many cameras when in
auto mode.

For about $15-20 you should be able to buy a used Vivitar 555-FD.  The
555-FD has multiple contacts on its shoe and provides dedicated TTL for
Olympus, Pentax and Minolta.  It's quite compact but provides decent
power and has bounce.  It also has an auto mode and will thus be usable
on a wide range of cameras whether it be TTL, auto or manual.  With 4 AA
batteries installed it only weighs 9.8 ounces.

There are numerous flashes that could also be used.  Many will have more
features, better bounce control, more power, etc., etc. but I really
think the 555-FD is a good, low price starting point.  It was my first
Oly TTL flash and I still use it now that I also have a T-32 with BG-2.
Now that I have both, I typically put the T-32 into the BG-2 and put the
555-FD into the hot shoe with each flash set to bounce according to the
needs of the room.  The two flashes provide a nice, even light. I should
also note that I typically shoot with one of my OM-2sp's since the 2sp
has the TTL connector for the BG-2 that's needed when the 555-FD is in
the hotshoe.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA
---------------------------------------
Alan said:
I've decided it is time to get a flash for my om-2sp and non-om cameras.
I'm reluctant to get an olympus flash because of the multi-camera usage
-
however I'm unsure of the benefits/drawbacks of different flashes.

As I understand it there are three basic modes TTL (flash does
everything
reading camera setting?), Auto (you tell flash the aperture and it uses
an onboard sensor to adjust the flash output), Manual you set
everything.

With an OM-2sp if I put the flash on auto - wouldnt' the camera attempt
shorten the exposure if too much light comes from the flash?

Are there cheap flashes (vivitar, ??) that will give me TTL operation on
all my cameras ?

I figure the flash would only get used 2 or 3 times a year so I rather
not
spend a lot...

Thanks,
Alan