Re: [OM] Request for Flash suggestion/education

Subject: Re: [OM] Request for Flash suggestion/education
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 00:31:36 EDT
dear p.j,

<< > Here is another question for the pros:
 > I was tinkering with my OM-2 this weekend while shooting some wedding
 stills
 > of the flowers.  I set the camera and flash on a tripod and used TTL Auto.
 > I bounced the flash on the ceiling and it was insufficient to close the
 > shutter, so it stayed open until it was satisfied.  This produced
 excellent
 > results in a candle-lit room.
 > How can I do this with an OM-4 or 4T? (It wants to close the shutter and
 > give me the 'under' signal.) >>

I think the only solution would be to use manual camera and manual flash and
bracket by changing aperture/shutter speed. Changing aperture will alter the
amount of flash light received and ambient light received; changing shutter
speed will alter the amount of ambient light only.

Depending on the brightness of the room, you might be able to select a wide
open aperture to get a shutter speed reading on the meter of 1/30 sec say -
that way you know 1/2 of the light will come from ambient light and half from
the flash when the camera fires at 1/60.

How about pROGRAM TTL OTF flah with the OM-2SP? that must set the aperture
according to the ambient light level before the flash fires. I heard it
mentioned that this can increase the amount of ambient light that gets into
the picture. I don't know if the OM-2SP always ends up firing at 1/60, I
think so, but it will choose a wider aperture when the ambient light is low,
I guess.

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/