Re: [OM] [OT] Oben, junk mail to the list

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Oben, junk mail to the list
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:32:27 -0400
Thank you Parzival,

You said it better than I could. In psychological terms, ignoring unwanted behaviors is IIRC called extinction. It will at first produce a greater occurrence of the unwanted behavior as the organism tries to get the desired reward for the behavior that used to follow it. After that the behavior will decrease.

I might add that we do not help Oben in his professional life by encouraging additional remarks from him. As a Doctor or a teacher he needs to develop a professional demeanor or might I say "bedside manner" :-). It does nothing for us but spread ill will and stress. It is better to ignore, for all of us. The delete key is what gives us power!

Gregg

I would suggest that doing nothing else but for ALL list members to filter Oben's postings, or to treat them as spam (the "delete-key" method often espoused by senior list members) will effectively discourage Oben given a little time. Response only
inflames and encourages.

If Oben is removed from the subscribers list, he will still be able to post, and his messages will still appear on the list, just like other spam (or am I wrong, are Olympus list spammers also list members?). If Oben begins to disguise his email address, as he
is starting to do, he will truly be joining the email spammers club.

I would prefer that the list reject messages from non-subscribers, and that when grave offence occurs, (i.e. personal insult, offensive content as measured by member reaction,) that someone be given the authority to delete the offender from the subscribers list. This would help with spam, and with offensive posters, and possibly save some members stomach linings, and others the pleasure
of observing their discomfort.

Giles has said previously that he has no desire to become a moderator in this manner.

So, that's my one-and-half cents worth. What do ya'll say?

- Parzival