[OM] re: courage

Subject: [OM] re: courage
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:19:52 -0400
I have observed this myself for many years as I teach primarily 9th and 10th grade students. I think part of the problem is that adults view situations from the experience of our "maturity" and from remembering our own past. In addition, we probably see life a little differently now that we have experienced an intimate relationship and understand what gets the libido excited.

Teens and preteens are both rather inexperienced (for the most part) and still because of the society we live in, quite aware of at least their potential. Unfortunatly, they are also filled with misconception: boys often think the girls only are interested in the guys for their cars, money etc. while girls think all guys are predators.

My experience is that young people are usually much kinder and more gentle than most adults give them credit for, and often what we interpret from their behaviors is in our thoughts, not theirs. Still, it is an adult world and we must protect them from their own "errors" in judgement.

Gregg

Scott wrote:
        This has gotta be one of the most complex aspects of teaching in what
would
        be High School here in the US. Uneven experience, moral and physical
        development and sexual awareness in students complicated by the widely
        varied (and often blinkered) expectations of parents and the general
public.

        Students are quite often capable of having a totally different vision of
        something they produce than the interpretation likely to be placed on
it by
        others, as you mention. Then comes the problem of trying to recognize
and
        reward what may well be great work in a situation where the work may
not be
        able to be shown. I can remember controversy over student art from all
the
        way back when I was a student, myself. Requires a courageous school
        administration to just go ahead and post them as they get them.
        Unfortunately, also as you mention, that sometimes means some form of
        professional suicide is committed. Parents rarely seem willing to
believe
        that their child independently produced an image which they found
        disturbing.