Re: [OM] Enlarger recomendations

Subject: Re: [OM] Enlarger recomendations
From: "Steve Gullick" <Steve.Gullick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:34:25 +0100
As I recall, the questioner was asking about B&W printing.

If this is the case, he absolutely does NOT need a colour head, in fact I
would strongly advise against one.

I have come across numerous examples of the colour filters in colour heads
fading, in some cases to such an extent that it has been impossible to
obtain a full contrast print on multigrade paper.

In my opinion, it MUCH better to use proper multigrade filters either above
or below lens, the results are much more consistent. The choice of
condenser/ diffuser is very much a personal one, I prefer condenser, but do
have a very dust free darkroom.

I use an old Phillips enlarger, extremely solid yet very easy to adjust and
it has all of the required movements.

I do agree that the lens choice is very important, there is no point in
using one of these remarkable Olympus lenses if your enlarger lens is crap!
Nikon are very good, as are Rodenstock Rodagon, Fujinon etc. Try to get a
six element lens if you can, but if buying second hand look vary carefully
for fungus, it is VERY common on enlarger lenses due to the conditions in
which most of them are used.

Good luck

Steve