Re: [OM] OM-1 MD with meterproblem

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 MD with meterproblem
From: rdk@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:44:38 +0200

Hej fra København Arild

Sounds like a great buy, even with a bad meter. I sold a 35-105/3.5-4.5 for 1500
DKK not long ago, so $200 sounds pretty good! The Tokina could also be worth
something, especially if it is an AT-X (should say on the lens); Tokina AT-X
lenses are highly rated.
Although the 625 alkaline version gives 1.5 volts instead of 1.35, it does not
normally harm the meter; it just gives incorrect readings. At some point it will
read correctly, when it is down to 1.35v, but the voltage will steadily fall
further. The mercury 625 held the voltage level better (and for longer).
the gizmo from Criscam only costs $30, but international shipping costs $25
(same cost for multiple MR-9 adapters) !!! There was meant to be someone in
Germany arranging European import, but I have not heard anything. John Hermanson
at www.zuiko.com also sells the same adapter, so if you buy more Olympus goodies
from him, the shipping cost would be more reasonable.
Tillykke med købet.

mvh / regards
Roger Key, Copenhagen

Bill Stanke wrote:

> Dear Arild:
>
> Welcome to the list - you didn't pick the best day to join!

Yeah, I can see that now, hope it calms down a bit. :-)

> The 625G is listed as a 1.5 volt battery.  This high a voltage [can]
> cause damage to you meter.  An alkaline battery also has the wrong
> discharge curve.  Your metering will be erratic as the battery ages
> during its service life.

Thanks a lot! Disappointing that my local camera repair shop inserted
the wrong battery, especially if it can hurt the meter (how do I find
out if the meter is damaged whithout the right voltage battery?).

I think I will borrow the camera a little while, shooting som rolls with
a external meter and then see the results. Will probably buy that
adapter-thingie.

> > BTW: Any thoughts on these lenses that followed the camera? One standard
> > 50mm 1,8f old Zuiko lens, a 35-105mm f/3,5-4,5 MC Zuiko lens and a
> > Tokina 70-210mm, f/3,5.

I wonder if this is a great buy, I get the OM-1 body and the three
lenses for between $110 and $220.

Regards,
Arild E. Vengen