Re: [OM] Re: Least Common Denominator/Photo finishing/Reccomendations?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Least Common Denominator/Photo finishing/Reccomendations?
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:02:04 -0700
I bemoaned this on list recently. My favorite pro lab (less than a mile
from home) shut down this year. There is actaully more to it than P&S
cameras (although I agree with your statement) Richcolor shut down
because they could no longer get skilled employees.they had plenty of
business, but were having difficulty getting skilled employees to do the
work. The tight labor market has made it more difficult to get good
people for all sorts of jobs, and I expect this is effecting the
photofinishing biz as well.

One of the reasons that I have almost completly quit shooting prints is
that I no longer have a reliable source for processing. At least with
slides I get what I shot, if not what I want. :) I used to use Richcolor
for all my criticle C41 and E6 stuff and Seattle Film works for my less
critical stuff, they used to do a very credible job. Lately they (SFW)
have been very inconsistant.

I only do the 1 hour places if I am in a real hurry (once or twice a
year) and it is always a crap shoot. A friend of mine used to use a
particular 1 hour place in Puyallup for years with excellent results,
but then the manager left and it all went to pot.

I am still shoppping for a good pro lab to do enlargements, boith from
neg and slide. I am not real happy about the idea of sending my
originals off via mail or FedEx, but it looks like that is what I ma
going to wind up doing.

Anyone have any reccomendations for a good high quality (display)
Ilfocrhome enlargement mail order lab?

Jim Couch