[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2659

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2659
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:58:05 -0500
> From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Testing B/W films (was: Re: [OM] B&W film)
>
> Okie, you've got me on one topic which I find terribly interresting.

I, for one am interested in your results!

> - - What would be a reccomende selection of films (BW only)?
Don't I recall youlive in France? If so, I seem to recall (there goes that
old memory again) that there are some interesting B&W films there not
available elsewhere? Forte 400 seems to stick in my mind.

> - - How would you go about developing these films?
>   (All in the same developer - if so, which - or...?)
So many variables, so little time.  different films may work best in
different developers. The general use developer of choice these days seems
to be Kodak Xtol, although there's still a lot to be said for Rodinal and
D76.

> - - Exposue: does the film-maker always know what rating is
>   the "best"?
No. This is what the zone system is all about.

How 'bout development when pushing/puling?
Adding another variable?

> - - Which scene(s) would you set? How to get the correct
>   amount of diferent shades of gray, contrasts etc?
some will start with step wedges, or step wedges held by a model under
artificial (therefore controlable) lighting.

> - - How would you - without a large set of professional
>   equipment - go about evaluating the results?
Go with what is easiest to print and looks the best.

Good luck. Please keep us informed.

Bill Pearce