RE: [OM] Re: Least Common Denominator

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Least Common Denominator
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:18:39 -0600
> Perhaps. You can often see this at supermarkets, where I
> think the photo business is considered to be an extra service
> for the customers.

 Could well be -- the photo lab is just a small room above their
cd/videogame/electronics section. I guess this means it's out of the way and
won't get full of dust/etc, which is a good thing.

> Neither am I. But once one of my films was spoiled in a
> cheapo lab. And recently my girlfriends slide film from a
> visit to the US was BURNT in a car crash on the highway to
> Germany. It was on it's 400km way to a central lab down
> there. Imagine: several thousand films were wasted in the
> middle of the holiday season! It was even in the news... Of
> course you can't blame the local lab for burning down the
> films, but when long transportation is involved, the risks are higher.

 Ah, in this case the transportation is just up a set of stairs.. I've
always been wary of posting films off, for exactly this sort of reason --
except that when posting, there's even more chance for stuff to go awry.

 I've not had any films spoiled (so far, fingers crossed) and in fact I've
had _better_ results than from one of the theoretically higher-end shops --
they had a nasty habit of not printing dark shots (yes, I _know_ it's dark,
it's city lights at night, guys.. please just print them all) and at times
just stopping processing halfway through a film for no obvious reason I
could discern.

 -- dan