Re: [OM] 18mm vs 16mm

Subject: Re: [OM] 18mm vs 16mm
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:52:59 -0400
Cc: imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(I'm going to say-as-I-do, for maximum CYA here)

I'd get the 16/3.5 if you have the 21/3.5 and forego the 18/3.5. Why? I like to take immersive panoramas, and the images from the 16/3.5 are much easier to correct for stitching. If you REALLY need the extra 8 degrees of FOV, buying the 18/3.5 is a pretty expensive way to get it. You could also shoot pictures with the 16 and unwrap the fisheye effect digitally to get about the same FOV as an 18.

Given that the 18/3.5 is $5-700, you could also get a used Voigtlander 15/4.5 for $3-350 and a Bessa-L body for $130-175 or another generic Russian LTM body for $40 and you have a 15mm lens and a body for less than the 18. I find that the difference between a 21 and a 15 is a useful difference. I can't see the extra 3mm difference between the 21 and the 18 REALLY making a lot of difference; especially enough to justify the cost if your budget is tight.

Just my 2 cents though.  Your milage may vary.

Skip

****** I M P O R T A N T   R E P L Y   I N F O ************
Please adddress ALL offlist messages to skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx
This hotmail.com email address is ONLY used for this mailing list subscription and I will probably not notice any private messages addressed here.