[OM] P&S with SLR equipment

Subject: [OM] P&S with SLR equipment
From: "Parzival Herzog" <parz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:18:29 -0500
Hello listees,

I find that the most problematical type of shooting I do is when I
want to capture the social event going on "right now". People
interacting at a party, my wife interacting with the dogs.

I see the situation, I have the camera, a promising picture
opertunity appears, but...

Before I can compose and focus the shot, and check the background
decide on exposure, the situation that warranted the picture dissolves,
the people notice and make an embarassing grimace, an arm goes
up to swat the mosquito, or the situation goes on, but the action has
moved and the point of focus is not right any more, and so on.

So, even when I get a picture, I find that more often than not at
least one element of photographic success has been lost, perhaps
the focus is soft, or the depth of field is wrong, or the exposure
is wrong because I used averaging metering,  or some extraneous
element is in the background that I didn't notice, and so on.

This evening I lost several such shots because early this morning
I was out before dawn shooting Venus under the crescent moon.
So imagine my chagrin when I composed a picture of my friend's
children, and the viewfinder goes blank, the camera bleeps. Oops,
the self-timer was still on from this morning. Took a few more,
and Double Oops with nuts, I had left the exposure compensation
at 2 stops under, the last position from the bracketting I did
on Venus this morning.

Its fine to set up a tripod, choose the lens, choose the lighting by
timing or contriving, focus carefully, and bracket exposures, but
often, there is just not enough time.

I still want to use my OM SLR equipment in these point-and-shoot
situations. How do you experts out there do it?

- Parzival