Re: [OM] 18mm vs 16mm

Subject: Re: [OM] 18mm vs 16mm
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:27:44 +0800
Sorry, not mean to say contrary words, but can't agree about digital
convertion. I know it is a easy job, but that doesn't mean it can
replace a superwide. Just like shift lens, you cannot say one can
digitally deform a picture so shift lenses are no use. In other words,
you can stitch two pictures so you don't need a wide angle.

I can agree with you about the high price of the Zuiko 18, but I can't
agree about replace it with a range finder, it works very differently.
The close up capability is different and you lost the accurate framing
capability of SLR. Adding another camera/lens is also not flexiable.
Just like many guy has mentioned the 24 shift is too expensive, you
better buy a 4x5 view camera, seems true, but I'm sure the 24 shift
will take ten times the pictures.

I'm now deciding my gears for next week's trip, which probable include
a OM4 (for ISO100 slide), OM2sp (for ISO400 negative), 21/2, 35 shift,
85/2, 75-150, a 2x convertor and a 28-48 mainly on the 2sp. I only
have room to add one lens (weight is also a problem), I'm considering
replace the 21/2 with 18/3.5+24/2. But I think it is hard to add a
third camera like Bessa plus the 15mm, also you need to decide which
film to put on it and this camera can only provide you 15mm
capability... very unflexable. If I have room for a third camera I
will put a OM body with B/W film side.

At last I found I can use the 21/2 as normal wide angle but the 18 is
really hard to control, 3mm different seems a lot to me.

My 0.002 cents.

C.H.Ling