Re: [OM] [OT] helmet visors Was Re: framing

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] helmet visors Was Re: framing
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:22:48 -0400
At 12:26 PM +0200 8/17/01, Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Sorry folks, but in an idle moment during lunchtime I had to scratch around in the back of my brain for my school math formulae to compare this steel dart and the sparrow. I kept to "imperial" units of measure...

My results are that dropping the 2lb steel dart from 8-10 feet gives a terminal velocity (after 0.75 seconds) at the helmet of about 24 ft/sec. That's a kinetic energy of 0.5*mass*velocity-squared = 576 (what are the units?)

For the sparrow, say 1 ounce, at terminal velocity of 110mph (terminal for the sparrow!) the energy comes out at 5162 energy units!

ALMOST TEN TIMES WORSE THAN THE LAB TEST!

Sounds to me like you were lucky!  (Not so lucky for the sparrow)
best regds
Jez-the-ex-mathematician

I think this ain't right. I get about 161 fps, which squares to
26,028, divide by 32 for the difference in mass and you get about
814 energy units. If it had been a grackle, though...

paul   the ex-physicist

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx