Re: [OM] Galen Rowell on Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] Galen Rowell on Olympus
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:11:31 -0500
From: Adi Soon

has anyone seen the following excerpt from Galen Rowell's Outdoor
Photographer column? The full article is available at

http://www.mountainlight.com/articles/op296.html

reminds me of something I read in a book about sports photography that
recommended against Olympus OM because of their questionable durability. I
think I was somewhat affected by such a statement. Went into my
subconscious a long time ago.
[snip]

The impression is real and not completely untrue. A former list member, Ulf Westerberg, switched over to Nikon after both his OM-4 and OM-4T failed him in the tropics. My electronic OMs are not dependable in cold weather shooting at which times I only trust my OM-1 and OM2000. I have had virtually no lockups of any kind save from failing batteries with my FE2 and FM2 in any kind of weather.

But I prefer the OMs. So they're not bulletproof? What matters (to me) is that I prefer them.

Joel W.