RE: [OM] Too good to photograph (was " Oben (OT / Flame," etc.)

Subject: RE: [OM] Too good to photograph (was " Oben (OT / Flame," etc.)
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:19:27 -0600
> I am sometimes overwhelmed when the light is beautiful and can't find a
> beginning of a composition. Composing and seeing are sometimes
incompatible.
> It might be fear of failure too.  "I can't do this justice,"

 There's some things that I'd _love_ to be able to capture in a photo, but I
know there's no way I'll make it work.

 Sometimes this is because I don't have a tripod/slow enough film handy to
get the light correctly, sometimes it's because I'm not good enough to get
the image ("I can't do this justice") -- but sometimes it's because the
scene depends on the viewer being in motion.

  The particular thing I'm thinking of here is deep untouched snow that's
just fallen and has a tiny layer of ice on top; there's an amazing array of
sparkles that come off it as you walk past, but they only look like anything
when the viewer's in motion. If you stop moving, the sparkles become much
less visible, and it looks all white; when you start walking again the
glitter returns.

 Very frustrating.

 -- dan