RE: [Fwd: RE: [OM] Help: still problems w/scanner]

Subject: RE: [Fwd: RE: [OM] Help: still problems w/scanner]
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:37:34 -0700
I've been following along through this as well, but kept quiet until now
because plenty of good suggestions were rolling in. I've got to second
Chuck's assessment here. Until the card is successfully recognized at
start-up, the scanner won't work.

The Scanwit drivers that came with my 2720S just a couple of months ago
*were* correct however, and included Win2K drivers, so they've apparently
updated their distribution CD.

Three other points you could check/try in order to see if the system will
discover the scanner. Enter your system's BIOS Setup screens (usually by
hitting either DEL or F1 for a limited time immediately after the system is
first powered up. Try the following ONE AT A TIME (i.e. restart after
setting each item) and change NOTHING else:

1. If you're on Win98, WinME, or WIN2kPro, search through the BIOS setup
screens for a setting that says something about "PNP OS?" It has a setting
choice of either "yes" or "no". Whichever it's set to, change it to the
other, save the BIOS changes, reboot the machine and see if it works.
Setting "Yes" allows the OS itself to control PCI settings. Setting "No"
means the BIOS controls PCI settings.

2. Via the BIOS, DISABLE (or set to NO) any motherboard devices not in use
in order to free up interrupts. For example: if your printer is USB
connected, and the motherboard has the Parallel Port turned on/enabled, turn
off/disable the parallel port. Same goes for Serial Ports, Secondary
IDE/EIDE controllers (not necessary if you only have one disc and a CD drive
and they're both on the Primary IDE controller) and so on. Disabling/turning
OFF devices that aren't being used frees the interrupts for those devices,
which can prevent the need for PCI steering and make things that weren't
working, work.

3. I haven't got a machine I can reboot at the moment to check for the exact
wording of this one, but many BIOS' also have a setting for "rescanning" or
"refreshing" or otherwise resetting the PCI settings. Should be on the same
screen in the BIOS as the other PCI configuration settings. It's a
"one-shot" setting, normally, that is effective only for the boot
immediately following the time at which you set it. Set it to "Yes" and save
the BIOS and reboot. It causes the machine to recalculate all the PCI
settings and reassign as necessary, which can sometimes awaken a board that
isn't being found.

And same here... email for more info off-list if you're still stuck.

---
Scott Gomez