[OM] was "none", now Reno Air Races

Subject: [OM] was "none", now Reno Air Races
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:56:47 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:
>I reckon that you could do with a longer Zuiko like a 300/4.5 or an
>85-250/5 to take photos of aircraft, especially low, fast, little
>aircraft.
>
>At 11:43 -0500 17/8/01, David McGriffy wrote:
>>Howdy Y'all,
>>
>>I'm new to this list.  You come highly recommended by Tom Scales, a
fellow
>>Austinite.
>>
>>My question is about a new lens for shooting the upcoming Reno Air
>>Races.  In the
>>past I have used my trusty OM-1 with a cheap 135mm and this works OK.
For the
>>last couple of years though, I have had the chance to hang out with
>>the pro's at the

    Well I wish I could say I was able to go to the Reno Air Races this
year as well, but after four days at Oshkosh my beautiful wife would
probably consider it grounds for divorce.
    I found for shots from the flight line the 300mm f4.5 is pretty good
hand held at 1/125 but almost unuseable without the monopod at 1/60.  I
think that unless the Wrights, Allisons and Merlins are really "wound
up" the props don't look right at 1/250 though.
    If you are at the Pylons I think Barry's suggestion for the 200 is
probably the way to go.  And the Pilot shots might be very interesting
with a 300 from the pylon.  But the 300mm also frames three or four
"warbirds" in formation nicely if you are a bit further away.  The shots
with my ancient 400mm f4.5 are ok at 1/125 on the monopod but the
panning skills are very important ( I won't be showing the six shots in
a row of a Sea Fury that are all fuzzy).  I'd like to see somebody, like
Mike Veglia who has an obvious talent for panning cars, tell me how it
it is different for airplanes.  I don't have nearly as much luck
shooting airplanes as I do with cars.
    I do like the perspective the 24mm f2.8 gives for static displays
and the V*v*tar 70-210 f3.5 S1 was usually on the OM-1n for everything
in between.  My kids Radio Flyer (red wagon, if that not obvious to
those not in the US) would have been really handy for the gear and stuff
you inevitably collect at these things.
    I think the best advice you have received so far is to take what
ever Tom is willing to loan you... and then buy what ever you used the
most when you get back.  Also, looking back I wish I had burned more
film ( he says, even though he has only scanned the keepers from nine of
twelve rolls so far)

    But what I really want to know is are the recordings going to be for
sale?

Mike Butler
Dublin, California

P.S.  Have Tom invite you to the "A Night in Austin" even if it may be
postponed 'til September ( I'll let evryone involved know as I learn
more.  Septemeber's better than August,  Right??)