Re: [OM] Galen Rowell on Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] Galen Rowell on Olympus
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 07:26:54 +0100
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I understand Joel.

I did recognise the style of writing from some US magazines that I used to read - Guns & Ammo from my teens to Playboy in my later teens. It's didactic rather than informative, dogmatic rather than opinionated. But his success, presumably, does not arise from any self-doubt, and the style is obviously popular enough to sell.

I will try to find his book and have a look ... it can only help me ;-).

Chris

Chris, You say you don't know Galen Rowell, but you have captured him in essence. It's all about his own opinion. He has many of them and cherishes them and will tell you all about them. I came to his book "Mountain Light" quite late in the game and really had trouble getting through it, despite some wonderful photography and great ideas.

I read both of Ansel Adams' series of books on photography (the old and the new) about 20 years ago. Much more recently I have read John Shaw's excellent books. Between the two men's entire oeuvres there is about 10f the ego found on a single page of Galen Rowell.

That of course has nothing to do with whether he is right or not.

Joel W.

--
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker