Re: [OM] The Aussies (Was Tom Scales, watch your back.)

Subject: Re: [OM] The Aussies (Was Tom Scales, watch your back.)
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 09:52:44 -0500
From: andrew fildes Now - as the term Fang has become part of the list-speak, should we also
incorporate the term Oben in a similiar way? For instance, to 'oben' an
item would be to pay well over the odds for it just because you've got the
money and you don't give a shit who knows it. Or one could apologise for a
waspish comment as being a bit 'oben the top.' Or we could claim to have
been 'obened' when someone makes a completely unwarranted or scurrilous
accusation - "I will not be obened like this..."

Dandy suggestion! It reminds of something similar proposed by Art Buchwald (syndicated columnist) from maybe 15 or 20 years ago about the actor Lee Marvin's live-in girlfriend, Michelle Triola, who had sued Marvin for property and stuff after they broke up, and kept calling herself "Michelle Marvin" sans benefit of clergy. Buchwald was a funny guy but couldn't mask his indignation at the whole situation. He kept trying to come up with a good word to describe the female in this situation: "tramp" or "whore" is too caustic and unfair to the female, "companion" or "girlfriend" too casual, "concubine" or "consort" too antiquated, etc., so he proposed just calling live-in girlfriends "marvins," as in "Gonna spend a quiet weekend at home with the marvin" or "Me and marvin is taking a week's vacation in Las Vegas."

On Oben and OM: I didn't read much of anything related to the brouhaha except what slipped through under unclear subject lines (and still read more than I liked). I did somehow between filters read Oben's tale about virtually robbing some poor backwoods camera store of a bag of MD caps -- 80-some of them, I think. I decided after thinking about it that this must have been made up to drive people on the list crazy. Did anyone actually buy one of these to prove me wrong, or better yet see the bag? (Sorry if this is already old news, but the delete key ... )

Joel W.