Re: [OM] Galen Rowell on Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] Galen Rowell on Olympus
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 15:30:55 -0400
this didn't make it to the, so I will try again...

I agree with Ken. I would suspect some truth to the reliability issues
with the OM-4's as well. The OM-4t fits my style so much, I'm in love
and love is sometimes blind. I have seen many a beater OM-4t working
just great. I have also seen numerous ones purchased off &Bay with
various kinds of failures (especially OM-4's). The electronics are
sensitive to humidity and corrosion. The LCD display, under the prism
housing, seems particularly susceptible to moisture. I barely repaired
one to working order that had intermittent display problems due
corrosion on the flex board connections to the LCD display. (I sent it
to the desert where it has a better chance of working than here in New
England). I feel the OM-4t is a work of very functional art made just
for me. If I did the kind of photography as Galen, I'd probably have
N!c()ns. I'd also need some of his athletic ability as well.

Wayne