Re: [OM] OM System Reliabity

Subject: Re: [OM] OM System Reliabity
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:40:40 -0700
<< Well, of course, there is some discussion here, and in your local
camera stores when the OM-2S is mentioned, about the circuit reliability
of the OM-2S.  It seems that most list members are doing just fine with
their current (working) OM-2S bodies.  Was there a time during its
production and marketing ('84 to '89) that circuits  were evidencing
above "normal" failure rates? >>

After four years on this list: the argument isn't about reliability,
it's about availability and cost effectiveness of replacing the circuit
board.  It seems folks worry about something before it happens - and
irrationally put too high a probability on it happening.  In the rare
case a board goes bad, you just replace the camera and keep the old one
to cannabilize parts from.  It's already been discussed (about a year
back when I questioned the conventional wisdom of it being "prone to
circuit board failures") and we established that this *wasn't* an
Achilles Heel of the OM-2S design, at any stage of production.  I bought
mine within months of it hitting the market.  It served me well as my
main camera until 1997, when battered and beaten the variable resistor
got too much corrosion to hold the shutter speed setting. I was just too
cheap to have it CLA'ed, so I replaced it.  That is the camera's
Achilles Heel, along with flash ready signal drain on the camera
batteries unless converted.

Now we are a three (working) OM-2S family and frankly, I have more
trouble with 5 meter flash cords than anything.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV