Re: [OM] The Aussies (Was Tom Scales, watch your back.)

Subject: Re: [OM] The Aussies (Was Tom Scales, watch your back.)
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 19:04:28 -0500

From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:22:45 -0700

Chuck N. writes:

<< Yup, I too thought it mighty peculiar that a backwoods camera store
should have such awful inventory management that they had a bag of 80 MD
caps.  One explanation is that they were being hoarded on speculation of
future shortages.  But if that were the case the camera store owner
would certainly have been aware of their value.  Certainly not
impossible but it sure does smell like a tall tale to me. >>

Retailers often have to place a minimum order, either because of lower
shipping costs when they reach a particular threshold, or because the
official distributor will only fill order at or above a threshold.  So
it wasn't uncommon practice to load up on small accessory items off the
price list (and the MD cap was on them).  It is perhaps the number one
reason long defunct OM Stystem retailers had sitting around, until
recently, hords of "this and that" minor items.  Of course, wise guys
have already traveled hither and yon to buy up such stashes.  The only
Fangs you hear about anymore are store ownership transfer clearance
sales (Hunt's in Memphis), or someone who found a store way, way out in
the boonies (Oben?).

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV