Re: [OM] OM System Reliabity

Subject: Re: [OM] OM System Reliabity
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 09:15:59 +0800
The system failure (caused by design or manufacturing, not individual case)
I found with OM bodies are:

1. Battery eater - OM2sp, OM4, OM40

2. Below 1/60s "auto mode" shutter non-linear response, much longer than
expected at low speed  - one OM4Ti (bought new), one OM4, one OM2sp. On the
other hand I have a OM4 and a OM2sp working well without this problem.

3. The foam attached to the prism ate the coating on the prism - two OM-1s.

4. A OM-40 failed electronically at zero deg. C. changed to new battery
still not work, but the battery was LR44 (alkaline type). My OM4Ti worked
very well after exposed a long time below -10 deg C. without any warming
necessary.

Other than the above, all OM (over 20) I have seen worked very well.

The common problem I found with Zuiko:

1. element separation on 35-70/3.6, poor rubber used on the focus and
zooming ring, most 35-70/3.6 (at least four) I have seen were with cracked
rubber. Similar thing not found on other Zuikos

2. slight pay on the focusing ring - some short Zuikos, some are caused by
the close focusing mechanism's coupling level wear out.

3. one very strange thing, two Zuiko 28/2 I came across has coating
scratches, caused by poor coating?

That is what I can remember.

C.H.Ling