Re: [OM] Moderator on List

Subject: Re: [OM] Moderator on List
From: "johnsonpa" <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:12:35 -0500
ummmm.....No...not a good idea
way too totalitarian
it would be much better to have an introductory email to all new subscribers
so they could find the important links to answer their questions (e-SIF,
FAQ, Acer's page, Mark D.'s page, P. Farrar's page, Gary R.'s lens test,
etc., etc., etc., etc...way too many to list.) before they ask them....but
to simply limit a newbie from posting questions is, well, kind of stupid,
really.
Think of it this way: you don't let a newbie ask the same old questions, so
they never get to ask them.  All the old-timers don't ask those questions,
so the newbies never learn.  Once they graduate to the old-timers membership
after 18 months, those questions will come back up b/c they have had to wait
18 months in order to ask the simple questions.  Granted, newbies will then
get the information they need...but then we are right back to where we are
right now, except the OM clan (and we'er getting smaller by the day) would
have probably lost a few good OM'ers b/c they couldn't get the information
they needed.  At least I know it is partly b/c of the list, as any easy and
very quick way to get answers to _any_ question, that I have stuck with OM
despite people repeatedly saying that people as young as I really should
move on.
I'll be the first to admit that I think there are too many one-liners and OT
stuff, but that is the price I pay for the overwhelming benefits the list
offers to me.  Also, with the exception of the past month or so, things have
been fine for years.  Why change it now?
I'd say your time would be better spent answering newbie questions rather
than regulating the list.  What is that saying: "You remember 100f what
you hear, 200f what you see, 300f what you read, and 700f what you
teach."  How about putting together a newbie email with links, common
answers to questions, and a general introduction to who's who on the list?

That's just my $0.02...