Re: [OM] new user

Subject: Re: [OM] new user
From: Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:32:56 -0300
(Roger wrote)
Just shooting a wedding is a huge and
responsible job. Just because you have a camera or two is no excuse to
request that you do this joy any more than you would ask a butcher to do
brain surgery because he owns a knife. Shooting a wedding is not a joke
Post me later and let me know how it goes,
please.
Best wishes,
Roger (who does about 75 weddings a year)

Thanks again Roger,
        I wish I had found this list earlier and had more time to get some
advice. If I had it to do over again, well, I don't think I would.
Shooting in the church was very difficult as it was a very small
building, and the photos following the ceremony had to be taken right
against a wall with a confusing decorated background (immediately
behind). Several other family members were taking pics for themselves
and asking for arrangements of people at the same time. When no pro is
there, everyone is perceived to be on the same level, with no one in
charge. This is one problem I have seen no one address or warn about,
but it was maybe the biggest challenge.
         On the advice of another wedding photographer, I did quite a few shots
with the portra400vc with available lighting, but am guessing there will
be too much yellow cast to suit me (based on the difficult lighting).
        The time between the ceremony and reception was only about one hour,
and in this time they wanted both church shots and outdoor ones. When
you try to get all the groups they wanted, and do them all again in both
places, including travel times, it doesn't leave much time, especially
for an amateur like myself. No way would I attempt this again unless I
had at least two hours.
        One life saver, we did get light cloud cover for some of the outdoor
shots, as the sun was going in and out behind clouds. The location they
chose was not outstanding, but hopefully I got one or two decent shots.
I will know soon enough this week. My goal was to get at least one very
good shot of the bride, and one of the bride and groom. I am skeptical
that I did, but if I got those two pictures, I will be satisfied.
        However, I think sometimes we forget that some people are happy with
just shots that are records of their wedding day. Their goal was to have
a lot, really a lot, of pictures, and they stressed this repeatedly to
me (which by the way didn't make the day any easier). I shot about 370
throughout the whole affair, but to me quantity is no substitute for
quality. But I guess we need to remember that for some if a person is
recognizable in a picture, then it is a good shot. Not everyone is
concerned about whether or not a lens is long enough to compress the
facial features adequately, or if there is harsh lighting on the faces,
or if the picture can be enlarged to 16x20 without too much grain, etc,
etc.
        Thanks again

Wayne