[OM] TOPE 7 Shooting Expedition

Subject: [OM] TOPE 7 Shooting Expedition
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:59:27 +0000
With the window just opening for TOPE 7, I had a prime opportunity late yesterday afternoon to go out on a TOPE expedition and shoot it. The best laid plans of mice and men oft times go awry. So did mine for TOPE 7.

The very nature of this TOPE virtually assures it will be something outdoors. I left the house late in the afternoon and was halfway to my destination, ISO 100 and ISO 64 in hand, and began eyeing the sky growing quite ugly. Then the car radio blared the emergency warning tones and the NWS (Nat'l Weather Service) announced a tornado watch and severe thunderstorm warning for the county. Turned around and went home. One devil of a storm, but fortunately no tornadic activity. Blew over completely after about three hours and then debated going back out again. By then it was dusk and darkening rapidly. Not to be daunted I went back out, this time with a tripod and a slight diversion to pick up some ISO 400 film. Not a speed normally stocked or used, nor is the specific film I bought, but essential to get at least 1/15th and maybe 1/30th shutter speed where I would be shooting. Used the 18mm/3.5, 24mm/2, 50mm/1.2 and 85mm/2. Consumed a 36 exposure roll. Now for the wait until the film is developed to reveal how steady my hand is with some of the ones done hand held at 1/30th, and if the ones using the 18mm turn out as envisioned (visualizing images when using this lens is difficult).

We haven't had much rain lately. Although I'm whining about it the farmers are probably celebrating the sounds of their corn growing again. Hope all the TOPE shooters are thinking about what they will do for this one . . . and that the weather for it cooperates better than it did for me. I have a "Plan B" if this one didn't work out.

-- John