[OM] question about using 35 shift

Subject: [OM] question about using 35 shift
From: "johnsonpa" <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 00:39:29 -0500
Please excuse my ignorance, but I want to make sure I have things straight.
The order of operations when using a shift to take photos of buildings and
such is pretty simple: align film along same plane as subject >>> set the
proper exposure >>> shift lens >>> take photo.
What about when using the lens for creative perspective control?  I like to
change the plane of the film and shift the lens around to create interesting
viewpoints.  What is the correct technique to determine the exposure when
the lens has already been shifted to acheive the desired perspective? Here
is what I have been doing:
compose image by shifting lens and film plane >>> 'un'-shift lens >>> set
the proper exposure >>> 're'-shift the lens >>> take photo.
I thought I was doing this the correct way until I got some hideous results
the other day.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any notes and cannot figure
what happened.
Also, I have always used my shift in Manual mode.  Can they be used in Auto
mode as long as I pre-set the aperture and stop it down manually?

Thanks!
--p.j.

Lastly, many thanks to Sunil Manga for helping me out with my creeping
shift!