[OM] Too bad to photograph

Subject: [OM] Too bad to photograph
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:39:55 +1000
Mike

I think you did the right thing.

If you are the first on the scene and the only person not in shock, I think we each have a responsibility to render assistance to fellow human beings who are suffering. Saving a life has to come before taking a photograph.

If you had arrived after medical aid arrived on-scene and there was little or any assistance you could offer, that is the time to perhaps take photos, but this would still be hard for many people (myself included).

Don't be apologetic because you felt compassion and wanted to help people in need.

Peter

snip

started to question my decision of not taking any pictures, thought it
over every which way I could and came to the conclusion that I did the
right thing. I'm sure I could have captured some gut renching emotional
images that morning but something wouldn't let me. Guess I'll never make
it as a photojournalist.

later,
mike m.