Re: [OM] Too Good to Photograph

Subject: Re: [OM] Too Good to Photograph
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 02:27:07 EDT
In a message dated 8/19/01 10:36:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I find that the thing that most often spoils my photographs (in my
>  view anyway) is where I haven't simplified the image enough, i.e., where
>  I haven't pared the image down to what the REAL subject is.
>
>  If I could improve that aspect of my photography I would be very
>  happy. I'll keep trying.....

When I get that, "OH! I HAVE to capture THAT!" feeling, I KNOW what the
subject is, and it is usually the incredible (and usually oh-so-brief) light
on a subject (mountains, boat, whatever).  It's right there in my face
screaming to be photographed.  So subject matter and composition usually
presents themselves to me without much work on my part (at least this is my
interpretation of how "it" works).  Someone once told me that I had an eye
for beauty (well, ah, O.K., they were talking about my eye for women, but I
like to think that comment also applies to my "artistic" eye as well... :-)).

It's still the technical details of exposure that haunt me as I attempt to
capture those always too-brief moments of special light.

"Zuiko" ("auspicious light"?) is a very apt name for the "gates" (lenses) to
our light traps, eh?  That's where it's at for me.  Light.

Rich