Re: [OM] was "none", now Reno Air Races

Subject: Re: [OM] was "none", now Reno Air Races
From: David McGriffy <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:33:30 -0500
Thanks for all the great feedback y'all (BTW, I've have always spelled it y'all, not ya'll).

Pardon any delay in responding but the volume of stuff that comes out of this list was much greater than I have been getting lately and it took me a while to come to grips with not reading every message that comes in. My day job is computer consultant and sometimes sitting deep in the bowels of a large corporate IT shop can get a little boring, so I generally read every message the second it comes it. I am now learning to be more selective.

You have also validated a long standing theory of a friend of mine that, at least among males, all conversations eventually turn to motorcycle wrecks. I've had my share, half a dozen times off a bike, but I have been very lucky and have ridden home from every one. OK perhaps I shouldn't have once or twice, but I have helped my odds by never riding without a helmet, long pants, and high top shoes. Often, though not always in the Texas sun, I wear leather as well.

Speaking of sun, yes it's still hot here in September. By October we've usually had one cold weekend, meaning the low might be low to mid sixties. But I've learned that I can't let it stop me. I still go to the park in the evenings with my three year old daughter. By late September it can be very pleasant to hang out, say, on the patio of the Crown and Anchor. Except, of course, that the students are back and you probably can't find a seat. So what's this about a get together?

Back to lenses and air races. I knew someone would voice the opinion that no zoom has ever been worth mounting on a camera but I still think that is where I'm headed. In the past I have more often had trouble with a lens not stopping down far enough to deal with the sun and the required medium slow shutter speeds for proper prop blurring. Also, the way Reno pylon press works, they take us on a bus and let us set up for the race. Then the second the race is over they want us back on that bus. I am usually carrying a bunch of audio gear, a film camera and a digital camera (for quick submission to the paper that has given me press credentials), scanners, headphones, etc. I just can't afford to carry any extra stuff. I have in the past carried two lenses (50 and 135) but I have missed shots because I didn't have time to change or the other one was buried too deep in my pack. I have had a zoom so cheap that I stopped using it, but I think a decent one would be a great thing for me. Also, the advice that nothing longer than about 300 is workable without at least a monopod is helpful. I am only barely adequate at panning by hand, but a monopod is probably more gear than I can manage so I'll just have to limit my lens choice to what I can hand hold decently.

Tom, you are very kind and trusting to offer the loan of your precious lenses. I may very well take you up on that offer, though I think I would only want to take one at most.

I have another question that I suspect may generate some strong opinions, what film should I use?

Thanks,
DMcG

P.S. to whoever said they were off to measure the RT60 of some room - audio is one of my other hobbies (also flying small planes, don't get me started). I wonder if you read the other list I subscribe to, sursound (surround sound). Some really great folks there. I love finding places where most people know more than me and I can question and learn instead of having to play the expert all the time.