RE: [OM] Photos-orcas

Subject: RE: [OM] Photos-orcas
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:45:26 -0700
I'll try to answer a few questions and thanks for the encouraging
comments.

> Cool! Where do you work???
>
> Pac NW?
>
> Cool! Orcas! Great work Mike!
> I place where you work near Victoria BC
>
> That's your home address, right?  Cause it sure ain't where the Orcas were
> swimming.  NE of Lime Kiln light?
>
> You devil - great shots, especially the above. Thought you never got close
> to the orcas???

The last comment is about 5 miles off. Actually I was a couple miles SE
of Lime Kiln light which is directly across the straits from Victoria.

> You devil - great shots, especially the above. Thought you never got close
> to the orcas???
>
> wonderful! shots #3 and #4 are really great! what is your line of work?
>
> ...What is this job of yours anyway?
>
> Great shots. From where have you taken them? A boat?
>
> Nice shots Mike.  I did not know that Orcas would play like that.

I build and/or install custom cabinetry in the trophy homes around here
and all have views to die for. This project is right on the water and
the orcas pass by on a daily basis. On this day they were right on shore
presumably following the humpies (pink salmon) and rather than playing I
think they were feeding. It is believed that they cooperate in doing
this. All photos were taken from the rocks on shore and the whales came
right into the kelp only a few meters offshore. #3 is called a spy hop
and even the experts can only speculate on what they are doing. They
seem to be taking a look around. I caught a half dozen of them of which
#3 was the best. #4 is the tail end of a full breach and I'm lucky to
get what I did. Quite amazing seeing these huge animals clear of the
water. I estimate about 50 individuals spread out over 3 miles/5km so it
was probably 2 or three of the local pods together. Getting a photo was
a serendipitous event as I had to cover 180 degrees visually and point
and shoot in a fraction of a second, hence the tail end of the breach.
And most of the action was under water. Pre-focus, aperature set to give
1000-2000th sec., winder 2, cross fingers. I was just at the right time
and place ... and had a camera :>) I ran out of film about 1/4 of the
way through the show so just sat back and enjoyed while the contractor
grumped about the crew costing $2500 a day to watch whales, but he was
out there too. (And I don't work for him anyway). As they slowly moved
north I ran home and picked up one of the girls staying with us this
summer and took her out to the Whale Watch Park (Lime Kiln Park) so she
could see the show there.

Gotta go to work

Mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West