Re: [OM] 35-105 f3.5 - 4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-105 f3.5 - 4.5
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:45:37 +0000
A technical note:
The difference between f/3.5 and f/4.5 is 2/3 stop, not a full stop, as they are +/- 1/3 stop from f/4.

Mine seems to exhibit variable aperture only wide open and constant aperture at other settings . . . based on making meter readings at various apertures and focal lengths. By Gary's definitive descriptions, it's one of the older ones. However, the red dot just under the "105" mark is a bit puzzling. I am mystified as to what connection it would have with IR film. Unless I'm missing something I don't believe there is a connection to IR film. It looks either to be a mark for 100mm (??) or a mark to indicate that the lens is designed to be used best at 105mm with the close focus ring engaged (??). BTW, the red DOF line appears to be for hyperfocal focusing purposes at f/11 (by indexing the inifinity mark with it).

-- John