Re: [OM] Moderator on List

Subject: Re: [OM] Moderator on List
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:54:35 -0700
While I applaud and am in favor of the list being closed, the draconian
idea of rigid moderation would take all the fun away (for me) and I fear
this would drastically change my perception of what is now my favorite
mail list (this list replaced my beloved Audi quattro list for "first
read" status long ago now...yes, even now despite the recent uprisings).
But my opinion is only one and I will go along with the majority
concensous on this (just may not participate much if I fear draconian
punishment for perceived OT posts, etc.) Being a moderator is not easy
at all, does anyone here really want to do that??? There are two car
lists I belong to, both closed, one moderated rigidly
(swedishbricks.net) and the other more loosly (audifans.com). Guess
which one I prefer and participate most activly in. The downside to
closed lists (for car lists) is that many members rely on the list for
troubleshooting tips and if you're broken down out of town you have to
email someone you know who is on the list (or the list owner) and have
your pleas for help forwarded. Many times people stranded in strange
places have received help from list members and a closed list makes that
more difficult. I do not see this being as crucial of an issue with a
camera mail list.

My vote is keep the access closed (keeps the spam away and allows
blocking access to known abusers) but self-moderated as it has always
been. The OT flare-ups are not the end of the world when they don't get
out of hand. Just my long and wordy $.02 worth.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com