Re: [OM] OMs and glue

Subject: Re: [OM] OMs and glue
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:45:22 +0000
At 23:08 8/21/01, Ken Norton wrote:
It is so important that we use our cameras and not just talk
about them.  These ADITL and TOPE events have been wonderful.
I've learned more photographic techniques from the likes of John
Lind and Joel Wilcox than I have from most books.  It is also
quite evident that most of us have purchased John Shaw's books!

Ken,
Er, um, uhhhh, I don't quite know what to say. There are a good number of superb photographers on this list (including Joel). Don't speak too quickly about me though. My ADITL shot (being scanned now) is workman-like and not that exciting. A litmus test comes next month with large prints going into 3 different shows and will tell how well my work cuts the muster against others in the region. Two of the shows allow selling the prints. Being judged by those steeped in graphic fine arts is one thing. Another litmus test is anyone from the general public being willing to buy one of them.

Even though it isn't by choice, you are preparing to do something I would like to ultimately do: Maslow's Self-Actualization. There are times I sit in my office, look outside, and think about where I'd rather be that day and what I'd like to be shooting with the camera gear. My strategy right now is to see what happens with regional exposure in some shows. I'd like to sell some large prints, but it is a very difficult and lean business to break into around here. I feel very fortunate there isn't a sword of Damocles over my head; the thought of anyone being in that situation makes me shudder.

I encourage list members to participate in the TOPE and ADITL also (TOPE 7 window is open). Even if you don't submit something, go out and take on the challenge of the theme. It stretches the mind and the skill set (no strain, no gain). The idea for mine occurred suddenly, and still waiting for the chromes to come back to see if it worked. Took some risks trying some things I've not done before.

I've seen some of Ken's photos in the past; very excellent work with an eye for unusual and different perspectives. Wishing the very best with success at pursuing the dreams and that everything, no matter how it plays out, works for the best.

-- John