Re: [OM] Fw: Olympus-S - can you help?

Subject: Re: [OM] Fw: Olympus-S - can you help?
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 23:05:29 EDT
Dear Hans and friend,

I said:
<< The 35 SII 1.8 was launched in November 1957.
It had a light value exposure calculator on the top. >>

It was actually on the back of the camera I think; sorry!

<< It has a battery in it now, though that one has probably
been dead for many years.  The battery has a small metal ring around it.
It appears as if this ring may have been added to enable using more
modern batteries - but that is only my guess. >>

I wonder what these cameras needed a battery for?

I thought even the early meters like selenium cells on the later Olympus 35
models would probably be like those on the Russian SLRs. Didn't they generate
their own voltage by the photoelectric effect from the incoming light which
then moved a needle, and therefore didn't need a battery?

<< a CdS light meter. >>

If it had a CdS light meter, it would need a battery I think. But I have not
seen any mention of a meter on this camera, unless there was another later
version.

Someone who has used these early cameras must tell you. I have not used them;
I have only been reading about them!

I hope you find your answer!

Best wishes,

Dave Bellamy.