[OM] OM-2N, 85/2 and 1-10 screen. No Shoe 4. OM-2N Viewfinder.

Subject: [OM] OM-2N, 85/2 and 1-10 screen. No Shoe 4. OM-2N Viewfinder.
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:53:54 EDT
Dear list,

I have been playing with my 'new' OM-2N, 85mm f/2 Zuiko (thanks to Tom) and
1-10 screen (an extra from a chap called John Royle who sold me his 21/3.5,
35/2 and OM-1N).

I had a clean-up and dusting of all my focusing screens a week ago or so, and
decided to change the normal 1-13(?) screen on the OM-2N for this 1-10. I
thought I would try some focussing on the ground glass instead of relying on
split image / microprism all the time.

Using this screen on the OM-2N has been a bit of a revelation, especially
with the 85/2, 50/1.8 and 35/2 lenses.

Last night I was trying to read my 10 point AOL Arial e-mail titles on my c
15" computer monitor at 800x600 from my position at the dining room table 8
feet away, using the OM-2N | 85/2 | 1-10 screen combo. I could see it more
clearly through the camera than I could by looking directly!

Especially with the Shoe 4 off, the viewinder is stunning. With my eye to the
eyepiece, I could see my slightly magnified computer monitor screen (with the
85/2), and its image merged with what I could see directly over the top of
the camera. The pentaprism is so small and out of focus at that point that it
virtually disappears - it is as if you are looking directly at the subject
rather than looking into the back of a black box, which is the feeling I find
with most other cameras.

This is one thing that struck me about the Olympus OM-2N way back in 1981;
one of many. The huge viewfinder image from about the smallest pentaprism in
the business. The eyepiece seemed to dominate the rear view of the camera. It
is a joy to look through on the OM-1 and OM-2, and I think this is one thing
that gives them an edge over the later OMs, and the opposition.

Are the Beattie screens even nicer to use than this 1-10 is? I especially
like the central part of the 1-10 which seems to be a bit brighter and finer
than the rest of the matte screen area. By using it, especially with the
faster lenses, I am really getting a different feel for focusing than I do
with the 'normal' 'default' screen.

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/