Re: [OM] What Sells & Personal "Vision" (Was OMs and glue)

Subject: Re: [OM] What Sells & Personal "Vision" (Was OMs and glue)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:00:25 EDT
Interesting commentary, Ag Schnozz...

This reminds me of a fellow from Boston I worked with for a few years.  VERY
talented painter in both oils and watercolor.  He had taken college/art
school classes, knew his stuff, and had work in galleries in both Seattle and
Boston.  He also knew very clearly the difference between the work he did for
himself (his "vision"), and work that would sell to the masses.  He couldn't
bring himself to do the majority of his work "to sell", as that would be a
"sellout" of his talent.  So he worked  as a deck hand, and painted for his
own personal fulfillment.  I think that's why my sister doesn't want to try
to sell any of her work, either.  It would change the nature of the "work".

I have the same hesitation, thinking about "going pro".  As it is,
photography is pure joy, an escape for me.  I don't want it to become "work".

The saying, "Do what you love, the money will follow", and Joseph Campbell's
"Follow your bliss" come to mind.  For now, that adds up to "Shoot more
film." :-)

Rich