Re: [OM] Looseness in bayonet mount?

Subject: Re: [OM] Looseness in bayonet mount?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:15:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Curtis P. Hedman wrote:

> Another techie question.... I just noticed that one of my lenses (Tokina
> 50-250 zoom) seems to have a fair amount of angular play in the lens
> mount.  That is, when bayonetted into my OM4T, after the latch clicks,
> there seems to be several degrees of before the lens hits the mount stop. I
> can wiggle the lens back and forth between the hard stop and the locking
> pin. The lens is solid perpendicular to the mount (no wobble). My questions
> are: how much play is "normal" or in spec, is there any problem with this
> slight amount of play, and, if so, is it something easily correctable via a
> normal CLA?

As long as the lens locks I wouldn't worry about.  Most lenses have a small
amount of play, it just depends on how closely the locking tab matches the
cutout in the mounting flange.  The only way to fix it is to replace the
locking tab with another, hopefully better fitting, tab.

>               I would think that there might be a small error in the lens
> aperture information coupled into the metering circuit - not a problem with
> ttl auto, but could it give a poor exposure in spot mode? Any thoughts or
> hard data will be appreciated!

The amount of error would be so small that it's negligible.  There's probably
more error introduced by stray light entering the eyepiece.
                                -mark