Re: [OM] More work photos

Subject: Re: [OM] More work photos
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:29:34 +0100
"c.e.packard" wrote:

> Roger,
> I do like the photos, especially the dome. How do you determine exposure
> times?

At full moon, so I've heard, the rule is 4 minutes at f/4, for 100 speed
film.  I had 50 speed film in the camera, so I doubled it and added a
couple of minutes for reciprocity failure.  Didn't have time to bracket
(I was supposed to be in the dome controlling the telescope!) so I was
pleased it came out.

> Also, I poked around your site a bit and found a few more I liked.
> Plughole - How did you create that one?

The famous 'slipping zoom lens' trick!  I pointed my 70-210mm lens at
the pole star, pushed it out to the long end and left it exposing for
about an hour.  When I came back it was at about 150mm.  Seems to have
slipped reasonably uniformly at least!

> Orion - A very good image of that constellation.

Actually I've also got a scan from the negative of that shot, at

http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/ohp/1999/pictures/orion.jpg

It was very hazy that night, which I thought was a bad thing, but it
gave quite nice coloured halos around the stars.

> Tower1 - Again nice exposure. Is that the Pleiades in the upper left?

It is the Pleiades.  My parents live right next to the tower, and it's
actually an old observatory from the 18th century.  It was owned by
Thomas Wright, and he was actually the first person to propose that the
galaxy is a flat disk.  But Immanuel Kant independently came up with the
same theory, and he got all the glory, leaving poor old Wright virtually
unknown.

All these shots are old print scans, which are on the schedule to be
re-scanned from the negatives, but I have a huge, huge backlog right
now.  Maybe by next summer...

Thanks for the comments,

Roger